Gaining wide and varied hands-on experience while serving as a Medical Officer in rural areas between 1989 -91 and 1994-99, he won the 'Young Scientist Award' in 1998, apart from awards like Indira Priyadarshini Award, Rashtriya Rattan Award, Kempegowda Award, Best Doctor Award, Vaidhya Ratna Award, Visveswaraya Award, JagaJyothi Basaveshwara Award and the prestigious Global Economic Council Award.
Awards and Honours:
- Young Scientist Award - 1998
- Indira Priyadarshini Award
- Rashtriya Rattan Award
- Kempegowada Award – 2004 from Karnataka Government.
- Best Doctor Award – 2004
- Vaidya Rathna Award – 2004
- Vishveshwaraya Award – 2004
- Jagajyothi Basaveshwara Award – 2004
- Kanada Rajyotsava Award -2011